Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Feed the birds....

So my green tip for today??? Feed the birds.. and rabbit's... and yes the squirrels too...

Do you find, that no matter what you do you end up with bits of crust, biscuits and even fruit that just don't get eaten and get stale or old?? Well how about instead of throwing them away, put them outside for the animals. They need to eat too and in the winter especially, it's hard for them to find berries and seeds. A bird feeder is a wonderful idea, but go ahead and put your dried crust and apples out there. I recently went thru and cleaned out my kitchen. You wouldn't believe the bits I found that would never get eaten. I had a bag of dried fruit, of course only about 1/8 c that was now stale and NO ONE would eat. I had some crust that were hiding under the bags of bread. I also found that my son had poked a hole in all our apples, so the bottoms of them were all browned. Well I cut the apples in half, gathered all the biscuits and bread and bagels and fruit together, broke them up into smaller pieces and took them outside. The animals LOVED them. I recycled AND fed the animals. In the Fall and early winter we even found deer in our backyard eating old bread I'd put out there. Now I enjoy birds, rabbits, squirrels and chipmunks around my feeders all the time.

So throw it all to the birds!!

(a tip, don't throw it out before in rains, you'll end up with mush in your yard. If you have a hard spot, or a trash can lid to flip over and put it on, it will keep the mess off the ground)

Happy recycling..

No comments: